Sunday, October 5, 2008

October 5th, 2008

Two other girls from Peace Corps and I -Aubrey and Jessie at the local establishment!
Town of Pitoa
View of Youande during rain storm.

Hello everyone! Well, after almost two weeks in country we finally got a chance to get to an internet café this morning. I wanted to give everyone a brief overview of what has been happening since I left the US a few weeks ago. In short, WOW!

We arrived in Cameroon after a thankful noneventful flight from NY to Brussels and then to Douala in Cameroon. The first thing I noticed from the plane was the red dirt and lush green. We spent the night at a hotel in Douala before taking off the next morning in a tour bus for Yaounde. Imagine 30+ people with at least one big pack and a medium suitcase and you will be able to get a grasp of the logistics needed to get us from point A to B! Pretty impressive! We stayed at a nice hotel in Yaounde for about four days while we completed official business at Peace Corps headquarters. We didn’t get to see much of the city but was able to at least see the soccer stadium and few of the neighborhoods while there. Most of us will be posted in the northern provinces of Cameroon so that is where our three months of training is being held. To get up north we had to take an overnight train (14 hours plus!) and then take another two tour buses for another five hours to get to our final destination which is two small towns near the bigger town of Garoua (you can find it on most maps). And then at the end of it we were wisked away with our host families. Holy cow-what a trip!

I am living with a small family. The parents are young (I believe I am almost 8 years older than the mom and possibly the same age as the father) and they have three children. They only had two before I came! Yes, that is right the third was born at 10 am the day I arrived in town! I kept asking on my walk to the house how many children the father had and he kept laughing saying something like, “Well, today I have three.” I didn’t pick up on that until they handed me a newborn baby boy when I entered the house! There are also two girls who I believe are sisters and cousins of the parents (one is young and the other is 15 and the one I talk with the most and who also makes all my meals for me). And then occasionally other relatives are there as well but I think I have figured out the core base for now! It is hard to describe the house structure but you enter a bigger courtyard area with brick and motar walls and then enter a smaller courtyard where my host family lives. There is a room for cooking, a latrine area in the back, my room, a sheltered open air area, and then the main structure with a living room with a television and carpet to sit on, and a bedroom.

Our training is very long and everything is pretty challenging right now for us but all of us are in this together so we will get through. I just need it to cool down!!! I did get a fan the other day and that has made my life much better!

Sorry that this has to be short. While writing this blog last night I started smelling a burning smell. Possibly could be my computer so I will have to investigate that! Three of us went into the bigger city this morning and walked around about an hour until we found a hotel that has one very slow internet connection-we are so happy!!

Any one that would like to call or text me or send a letter or package I would be indebted to you for life. Any sort of food supplements, gum, granola bars, vitamins, etc as I basically am eating some rice with tomato paste and beans every day with some coca cola thrown in there! Ohhh what a time! Any news from home is always welcome! To call from the US you dial 011 237 74199809. I miss you all and hope I can at least get to the internet one a week on the weekends to be able to write you all. Much love, Anna xoxox

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose this is not a good time to tell you we had the woodstove going yesterday because it was a bit nippy. I can't even imagine how hot it is for you. Very proud of you kid.
Love Ya
Da

Lynnae said...

WOW is right! I really give you so much credit for doing this Anna. You are a truly special person and I'm so gratful to have you for a friend. I hope you can keep your blog updated because it's great hearing from you. Do you typically get time off on the weekends to go into town? I'm going to send you some mail, but who knows when it will get there. I'm glad you liked the emergency letter :)
Love you, miss you, stay encouraged,
Lynnae

Anonymous said...

Anna...what an adventure! You should right a book. I went to the post office the other day and I have some good news...they said letters and packages are all delivered by air now so they will get there in about 9 days. You will have to let us know if that is true. :) Looking forward to your next submission.
Bernie

Anonymous said...

i love and miss you every day, anna!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Anna, what an adventure you've had already! Such a world traveler :) Hang in there, you're awesome, and I know you're going to be fine and do great things over there! You're always in my thoughts, so don't think your friends will forget about you. I will try to send some goodies, any requests?

carebear said...

Anna,
I am so impressed with your ability to go with the flow. I'm sure it hasn't been easy, but keep your chin up. You are changing the world--so cool! I will send a package out soon with some of your requests--what a "tall order" by the way :)
Love ya,
Carrie

Unknown said...

Bonjour PS !
alors belle avanture! et comment va ton français? Je te souhaite d'en profiter un maximum et d'en prendre plein les yeux, de faire de belles rencontres et découvrir des paysages magnifiques.
Merci pour ces nouvelles, en espérant voir un peu plus de fotos.
Un énorme bisou.
Take care petite salope.
Laurence.

Brendan O'Connor said...

Anna, que pasa?!!

Glad you're doing this blog, what a neat way for us to see into such a different world, and with such a personal perspective...Can't wait to check out more updates as you're able, and will be thinking about you as you look at how to navigate life in such a different place. And as cliche as it may come across, it's times like this that hit home the reality we all of course know, about how different life is in the West, w/our constant internet connections and technology in general...

Beautiful shot of the rainy mountain there too, love it.

You'll be doing health-related work there right?

All the best!!

Brendan